I LOVE RICE! My favorite is what I grew up on, Japanese style short grain sticky rice. These days, however, we eat mostly brown rice and once in awhile a light and fluffy pilaf. You can make pilaf in your rice cooker but I prefer the stovetop. I first sauté onions and garlic, then toss in the rice and stir until toasty. Next, I add the broth or water and a generous pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil and then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. That's it!
|Easy Stovetop Rice Pilaf||
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion, small dice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water or low sodium broth (vegetable, chicken or beef)
- pinch of salt
- Place saucepan over medium heat.
- After a minute, add oil and swirl.
- Add onions and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add garlic and stir for 20 seconds.
- Add rice and stir until it just starts to stick to the bottom.
- Add water or broth and a pinch of salt.
- Turn heat to high and bring it to a boil.
- When it begins to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff and adjust seasoning.